Welcome to the Stewardship Foundation
The Stewardship Foundation is a family foundation in Tacoma, Washington with roots dating back to 1947. We enjoy a rich legacy of Christian faith-based philanthropy, one based upon service to others. From local engagements to international strategies, the Stewardship Foundation shares our resources with the hope to alleviate suffering, to improve the lives of those on the margins, and to be an instrument of God’s healing and peace in our world.
The Stewardship Foundation provides resources to Christ-centered organizations that share their faith in Jesus in word and deed with others throughout the world.
The resources we share include financial support (primarily through project grants and operating support), networking and philanthropic counsel.
The people we serve include the poor, the marginalized, the disadvantaged and those who lack faith in Jesus.
The areas we serve include the Puget Sound region, the United States and the Developing World.
The programs we support include Christian leadership, poverty, justice and reconciliation, faith and discipleship, and children at risk.
Our Values and Identity
- We are Committed to Christ: Our faith in Jesus is foundational in our mission and service.
- We are Stewards: We manage and share resources entrusted to us. They are not our own.
- We are Listeners: The expertise of partners and practitioners helps guide our investment of resources for maximum impact.
- We value Mutuality: We recognize the interdependent partnership between giver and receiver.
- We acknowledge Complexity: The issues we address such as poverty and justice are multi-dimensional and require solutions which match the depth of the problems.
- We respect the equality of Women: We believe in the importance of gender diversity in organizational leadership and on governing boards. We support the empowerment of women worldwide.
- We are Advocates: We are proponents of racial and ethnic justice and reconciliation.
- We are Inclusive: We recognize and affirm the dignity of all people. We do not discriminate on the bases of sexual orientation or gender identity.
Healing Hands of Joy
Healing Hands of Joy (HHOJ) was established in 2009 with a vision to see obstetric fistula eliminated in Ethiopia and to see fistula survivors rehabilitated spiritually, emotionally, and economically, and successfully reintegrated as self-contributors to their communities and educators in safe delivery. Obstetric fistula is a devastating childbirth injury caused by prolonged and obstructed labor. It often results in a stillbirth, chronic incontinence, spousal abandonment, social stigma, and personal shame. Our Safe Motherhood Ambassador program is a holistic rehabilitation program where fistula survivors receive critical spiritual care, counseling, maternal health education, literacy, numeracy, and income-generating skills training. We also train them as educators so they can reclaim their sense of purpose. Finally, to ensure we engage the most people, our programs also educate local communities, stakeholders, and Male Family Members in fistula prevention and recovery. Our inspiration comes from the unconditional love of God and His call to bring healing and joy to those who suffer as exemplified by Jesus Christ. We are committed to working with partners and individuals of all faiths and beliefs. Learn more at www.healinghandsofjoy.org.